Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abarten » Jagdtiger » 3Kp 512 Wrecks » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Javier Tome
Expert

3Kp 512 Wrecks Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Käsberg, 26 March 1945 (For discussion)

After the crossing of the Rhine at Remagen, the German Command was determined to eliminate the bridge and isolate the American units on the eastern bank. Gen. Bayerlein wanted to attack in force, but the German units were arriving slowly and under strength. Meanwhile the Americans were preparing their own offensive.

Vehicles from panzer Abt. 506, 512 and 654 were formed into the Schwere Panzergruppe Hudel. The terrain in the UCKERATH, KRAUTSCHEID, BUCHHOLZ area was very favorable for an American attack as no natural obstacle existed in direction ALTENKIRCHEN. For that reason the bulk of the Schwere Panzergruppe was held ready for defense or counterattack on the main road from HENNEF to ALTENKIRCHEN, in the area UCKERATH-STOTTERHEK-MEISSENBACH. In fact, a prisoner from the 11th Pz Div saw a group of 45 Tiger tanks in the vicinity of KIRCHIEB as he rode his messenger motorcycle.

When on 24 March the German counterattack begun, this was too weak and ill coordinated to success. Next day the US First Army attacked to the east breaking the front in direction ALTENKIRCHEN. The German troops were forced into defense. The Panzergruppe began the withdrawal trough OBEREIP in direction ALZENBACH, in order to cross the SIEG through the nearby bridge.

On 26 March, the 1st Bn of the 18th IR, departed from OBEREIP with the towns of MUHLEIP, HOVE, OBENROTH, STEIN, LASCHEID, and KÄSBERG as objectives. No major opposition was encountered and by the end of the day the Battalionn had reached the SIEG river. The unit found a 150mm SP in the area.

About 100m from KÄSBERG on the Kreisstraße to BITZE there were a tank wreck on the left side of the road. The crew blew up the vehicle and followed to the SIEG. The tank wreck remained more than a year on the road side and then it was cut in pieces by an Eitorfer scrap dealer. The boys from KÄSBERG sold the brass cartridges of the tank shells to the scrap metal dealers for 10 Reichsmark each. At that time it was said that the tank was a Königstiger. But the people from WASSACK called also Königstiger to the Jagdpanthers destroyed near the town.

On 26 March one Jagdtiger and two Königstiger were reported blown up after suffering suspension damages. As there are not enough information to assure that the KÄSBERG wreck is this Jagdtiger, I think that there is a reasonable doubt.

Map
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x331...zps895kqzfh.jpg

Regards,

03.03.2015 15:19 Javier Tome ist offline Email an Javier Tome senden Beiträge von Javier Tome suchen Nehmen Sie Javier Tome in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Thank you very much for the great information over the last month Javier!

03.03.2015 20:02 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Javier Tome
Expert

Billmerich Jagdtiger wrecks Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Billmerich, 11 April 1945

It seems that the color pic of the two Jagdtiger was taken in Billmerich, south of Unna:

Bürgerschützen und Heimatverein Billmerich 2010 e.V.
"Am 11.04.45 wurden 2 jagd - tigerpanzer von der amerikanischen armee hier auf der kluse ca. 100m von diesem Schild entfernt, erbeutet.
Die besatzung hatte die Panzer verlassen. In den Jahren 1947-1948 wurden die Panzer durch die britische Armee verschrottet."

https://www.facebook.com/163490250006037...?type=3&theater

Regards,

28.07.2017 19:53 Javier Tome ist offline Email an Javier Tome senden Beiträge von Javier Tome suchen Nehmen Sie Javier Tome in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Herbert Ackermans
Mitglied

RE: Billmerich Jagdtiger wrecks Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Javier Tome
Billmerich, 11 April 1945

It seems that the color pic of the two Jagdtiger was taken in Billmerich, south of Unna:

Bürgerschützen und Heimatverein Billmerich 2010 e.V.
"Am 11.04.45 wurden 2 jagd - tigerpanzer von der amerikanischen armee hier auf der kluse ca. 100m von diesem Schild entfernt, erbeutet.
Die besatzung hatte die Panzer verlassen. In den Jahren 1947-1948 wurden die Panzer durch die britische Armee verschrottet."

https://www.facebook.com/163490250006037...?type=3&theater

Regards,

This fits with several Jagdtiger wrecks from s.Pz.Jg.-Abt. 512:

https://www.google.nl/maps/@51.4319699,7.784615,9.62z/data=!4m2!6m1!1s1cQ6CVq-xc4S4oq_fn8YMLcPMhHQ?hl=nl

3 Jagdtiger from s.Pz.Jg-Abt. 512 were lost on 11-4-1945:
- X5, Leutnant Kubelka at Hagen
- 321, Oberfeldwebel Arnold at St. Adreasberg
- 3XX, Feldwebel Becker at Beierfelde

The latter 2 are too far away from Billmerich.

X5 at Hagen, is about 30 Km away, so unlikely.

The only known 2. Kp. Jagdtiger, Kennzeichen Y, is also too far away.

The relative proximity to a number of 1. Kp. Jagdtiger leads me to consider these 2 to be 1. Kp. Jagdtiger.

The whereabouts of X3, X4, X6, X7, X9 and X10 is not known, so plenty to choose from.

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Herbert Ackermans am 05.08.2017 01:05.

05.08.2017 00:51 Herbert Ackermans ist offline Email an Herbert Ackermans senden Homepage von Herbert Ackermans Beiträge von Herbert Ackermans suchen Nehmen Sie Herbert Ackermans in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Javier Tome
Expert

Billmerich Jagdtiger wrecks Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Herbert,

When I wrote my last post I assigned the Billmerich Jagdtiger wrecks to the Carius company because this had been in Unna and also participated in the Bismarckturm combats from the hills around Billmerich. This was an area of the 190 ID.

The 1st company was with the 116 Pz Div in the Bismarckturm area. There were 4 Jagdtigers in the company. One was reported destroyed by company commander Ernst and three surrendered at Iserlohn. I thought that the 1st company retreated to Langschede. So there were not enough Tigers nor the possibility to get close to Billmerich. But as the Americans threatened to cut the road to Langschede, the 116 KG was subordinated to the 190 ID. This division was ordered to retreat to Schwerte. The 1st company Jagdtigers could have used the “Kluse” road to retreat from the Bismarckturm. So the unit was near Billmerich. But why should I discard the 3rd company?

By the way, the “Bismarckturm wreck” was not around the Bismarckturm. The Americans took this area at approx. 1000 on 11 April 45 and the first planes in this area arrived after this hour. It should had been in Opherdicke-Hengsen area. (My bet)

Regards,

05.08.2017 19:44 Javier Tome ist offline Email an Javier Tome senden Beiträge von Javier Tome suchen Nehmen Sie Javier Tome in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Herbert Ackermans
Mitglied

Limited references here Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Javier,

I have to admit I have extremely limited info on 512. I only have the 653 book by Munch.

With that info I placed known wrecks on a google map and from that, Billmerich is closest to those 1. Kp. wrecks, with AFAIK wrecks of 3. Kp. at Beierfelde and Osterode, some 250 Km away.

I have to stress, again, my 3. Kp. info is limited. Further, I saw in found small pieces of references primarily talk of 1. Kp. around Unna.

Any further info, details I welcome with open arms smile

05.08.2017 23:35 Herbert Ackermans ist offline Email an Herbert Ackermans senden Homepage von Herbert Ackermans Beiträge von Herbert Ackermans suchen Nehmen Sie Herbert Ackermans in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Javier Tome
Expert

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Herbert,

It seems that there is a problem with the numbering of the 512 companies. In the "Heavy Jagdpanzer" by Spielberger there are two reports in which the Carius´Kp is mentioned as the third. I follow this criterion.

Regards,

06.08.2017 22:33 Javier Tome ist offline Email an Javier Tome senden Beiträge von Javier Tome suchen Nehmen Sie Javier Tome in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andrew Devey

Zitat:
Original von Javier Tome
Hi Herbert,

It seems that there is a problem with the numbering of the 512 companies. In the "Heavy Jagdpanzer" by Spielberger there are two reports in which the Carius´Kp is mentioned as the third. I follow this criterion.

Regards,

Hi, I hope I have posted this right as it is my first post. I did some very extensive research on this topic that was published in two volumes back in 1999. The numbering of the companies for 512 is certainly confusing and more so by the commanders themselves. If this works I enclose copies of original correspondence from Walter Scherf and Otto Carius received in 1997. Sadly both are no longer with us.

It would be excellent if the moderator could translate the documents or create an electronic copy?

http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/AndyDe...html?sort=3&o=2

You guys are doing some excellent research on this forum, you have identified several errors in my own work especially in the locating of the wrecked vehicles. I also delight when you discover new photos that help piece this history of this vehicle together.

A German copy of my work Jagdtiger - Der stärkste König. Einsatz, Kampf Technik

Best regards

Andy Devey

08.08.2017 11:54 Andrew Devey ist offline Email an Andrew Devey senden Beiträge von Andrew Devey suchen Nehmen Sie Andrew Devey in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andrew Devey

Zitat:
Original von Andrew Devey
Zitat:
Original von Javier Tome
Hi Herbert,

Regards,

Hi, I hope I have posted this right as it is my first post. I did some very extensive research on this topic that was published in two volumes back in 1999. The numbering of the companies for 512 is certainly confusing and more so by the commanders themselves. If this works I enclose copies of original correspondence from Walter Scherf and Otto Carius received in 1997. Sadly both are no longer with us.

It would be excellent if the moderator could translate the documents or create an electronic copy?

You guys are doing some excellent research on this forum, you have identified several errors in my own work especially in the locating of the wrecked vehicles. I also delight when you discover new photos that help piece this history of this vehicle together.

Best regards

Andy Devey

Link did not work trying again

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii51...zpsxfeanplq.jpg

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii51...zpsexvy34ad.jpg

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii51...zpsvwi3afew.jpg

08.08.2017 11:59 Andrew Devey ist offline Email an Andrew Devey senden Beiträge von Andrew Devey suchen Nehmen Sie Andrew Devey in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andrew Devey

Zitat:
Zitat:
Zitat:
Original von Javier Tome
Hi Herbert,

Regards,

Best regards

Andy Devey

Link did not work trying again

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii51...zpsxfeanplq.jpg

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii51...zpsexvy34ad.jpg

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii51...zpsvwi3afew.jpg

Links not working I must be doing something wrong

last try

[http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/AndyDe...s?sort=3&page=1[/URL]

If this does not work perhaps some on can email me on andy-tank-1@hotmail.co.uk so I can send the link on for further inclusion?

Regards

Andy

08.08.2017 12:04 Andrew Devey ist offline Email an Andrew Devey senden Beiträge von Andrew Devey suchen Nehmen Sie Andrew Devey in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Here are the three pages which Andy would like help to translate.

Thanks in anticipation,

Chris.

09.08.2017 11:33 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Javier Tome
Expert

Cos numbering Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Two hints:

Notiz für Führervortrag am 31.3.45, (Doc from Der Generalinspekteur der Panzertruppen)

"A) Aufstellung von Pz.- und Pz.Gren.Einheiten

6.) 2/Jagdtiger-Abt. 512

In Sennelager mit
5 Jagdtigern
Durch OKH zum einsatz bei Ob. West freigegeben.
2 Weiter Jagdtiger seit 26.3.45 von St. Valentin in Zufürung nach Sennelager.
1 Jagdtiger in St. Valentin in Instandsetzung bis 31.3.45"

3rd AD - 02 Apr 45

"A PW reports the 512 Hv TD Bn is composed of three companies of Jagdtigers (128 mm guns on a Tiger chassis) The Bn is now located in the woods in the vic of DAHL (B 7744) - SCHWANEY (B 8247) - HERBRAM (B 8142). The 2 Co has five Jagdtigers and the 1 and 3 Cos have 10 each."

10.08.2017 00:15 Javier Tome ist offline Email an Javier Tome senden Beiträge von Javier Tome suchen Nehmen Sie Javier Tome in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Herbert Ackermans
Mitglied

Artwork by Andrew Devey Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Mr. Devey's artwork

10.08.2017 20:57 Herbert Ackermans ist offline Email an Herbert Ackermans senden Homepage von Herbert Ackermans Beiträge von Herbert Ackermans suchen Nehmen Sie Herbert Ackermans in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Herbert Ackermans
Mitglied

Letters by Scherf and Carius Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I have mailed mr. Devey translations of the letters. They are very interesting from the personal perspective of both Scherf and Carius.

Scherf as well as Carius had no contact with either of the other companies, though Carius does know about the existence of the 3rd company, which Scherf said did not exist.

11.08.2017 00:27 Herbert Ackermans ist offline Email an Herbert Ackermans senden Homepage von Herbert Ackermans Beiträge von Herbert Ackermans suchen Nehmen Sie Herbert Ackermans in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Herbert Ackermans
Mitglied

Translations of both letters Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Otto Carius' letter

Walter Scherf's letter

11.08.2017 15:22 Herbert Ackermans ist offline Email an Herbert Ackermans senden Homepage von Herbert Ackermans Beiträge von Herbert Ackermans suchen Nehmen Sie Herbert Ackermans in Ihre Freundesliste auf

Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: